We are specialists in the conduct of opinion surveys of the general public on a variety of issues. We have partnered with two of the largest professional opinion survey firms in the US and one in Panama in conducting more than 20 national surveys. In the US, we have completed eight statistically-valid national opinion surveys in association with Zogby International specifically on the topic of Americans desiring to relocate outside the United States beginning in 2005 and continuing through our latest survey, completed in early March of 2009.
We have the only database in existence specifically concerned with relocation and the purchase of property globally by US citizens, with an emphasis on Central America and Panama. These eight surveys collected information from a total of more than 118,000 Americans. The standard opinion survey that most people are familiar with includes 800 to 1200 respondents. Our smallest survey included 3400 respondents and our largest included nearly 25,000 respondents, providing us with a much smaller "margin of error" and considerably more detail that is possible with a standard survey.
In finished surveys, demographic information has been collected (and can be again in the future) in the following categories, among others:
- investor status
- US region
- urban/suburban/rural currently
- marital status
- political affiliation
- own or rent currently
A sample of some of the many questions asked follows. A few include the responses provided.
- Are you planning to relocate to another nation for more than two years for reasons other than the requirements of the military, the government, or your job?
- Yes, I am seriously interested in relocating outside the US and am likely to do so.
- Yes, I am somewhat interested in relocating outside the US and may do so.
- No, but I am seriously interested in purchasing a vacation property, investment property, or other property outside the US.
- No, but I am somewhat interested in purchasing a vacation property, investment property, or other property outside the US.
- No, I considered relocating or buying a property outside the US, but decided against it.
- No, I have no interest in relocating or buying a property outside the US.
- In considering your move to another nation, which region most interests you?
- How important will Internet access be in your new nation?
- How often do you plan to return to the United States?
- How do you intend to handle your housing arrangements when you arrive in your new country, will you buy or build a house or condo, rent first and eventually buy or build, or will you rent only? (choose one)
- How much do you expect to spend on buying or building your house or condo?
- Do you expect to work in your new home nation?
- Do you expect to invest in a business in your new nation?
- Do you expect to pursue sports in your new nation? Which sports?
- Do you speak the local language/dialect of the country to which you wish to move?
- If you or your partner/spouse fall seriously ill, do you expect to go back to the US or another nation for treatment, or seek treatment in your new home nation?
- How much monthly income do you expect to have to cover your living expenses when you've moved to your new nation?
- Please choose the statement that most closely reflects where you are in the process of selecting a destination
- I have finished my research and I have chosen the nation where I want to relocate.
- I have narrowed my choice down to two or three alternative nations, but have not yet decided which will be my final destination.
- I am still considering a variety of alternatives and have yet to narrow it down or make a final choice.
- What are the most important reasons you are thinking of relocating?
- I am returning to my homeland
- I am looking for a lower cost of living
- I want to live in a warmer climate
- I am looking for the best retirement location
- I want to establish a business or actively invest money
- I want to live in a less stressful environment than the US
- I feel my privacy is threatened in the US
- I think the US is moving too far to the right politically
- I think the US is moving too far to the left politically
- I want to avoid future terrorist attacks
- I want to find a tax haven/shelter
- I want to live in a country with financial privacy
- I want to live in a country with affordable health care
- I want change, adventure, new challenges
- I like the "family culture" of other countries
- I want to get away from overcrowding in my home area
- I want to escape from a culture of greed
- I am looking for a simpler life
- I want to stretch my scarce resources
- How important is it to you to sell your current house in your home nation before moving overseas?
- If you plan to sell your current house in your home nation before moving, how difficult do you expect it to be to find a buyer?
- If you are only expecting to be a part-time resident, how many weeks to do you expect to spend each year in your new nation?
- If you are only expecting to be a part-time resident, do you want to rent your home when you are not there?
To learn how we can help you plan your marketing campaign, contact us.